Our Orland, California Community
Orland is a rural agricultural town located in Glenn County near the dry western foothills of the Northern Sacramento Valley. The history of Orland dates back to the 1840s when Granville Perry Swift built an adobe north of the future town of Orland as the headquarters of his cattle ranch that covered the most of the western valley floor from Stoney Creek to Cashe Creek. The town was named Orland in 1875 after a lottery to decide the name. The following year, the first post office was established in Orland.
Pierre Barceloux first came to California in 1859 spending time as a miner and ranch hand. In 1871, he moved his family from Sault Ste. Marie, Quebec to a ranch in Glenn County near Willows. He founded the Peter Barceloux Land Company that developed into a large farming operation primarily growing barley. George Albert Barceloux was born to Pierre and Lumina Barceloux in 1877. The town of Orland was incorporated in 1909, the year Leo Barceloux was born to George and Emma Barceloux. The first major development of Orland began in the 1910s after the completion of the Orland Irrigation Project, the first irrigation project of the newly-formed United States Bureau of Reclamation; the Orland Water Users Association continues to provide water for agricultural land in the area. George moved to Orland where he became President of the Bank of Orland and served the newcomers during the influx of settlers. He and Emma raised their 5 sons (Clem, Leo, Reeve, Melvin, Edgar) in their large home on Highway 99W south of Orland. Four of the Barceloux brothers remained in the Orland area, operating several business including insurance agency, auto parts stores, and ranches.
Today, Orland has over 7,000 residents. The town is home to the Glenn County Fair, the Orland Art Center, Haig Field, and a large surrounding agricultural community growing almonds, olives, cherries, oranges, cattle, and dairy cows.